In this article, I am going to briefly talk about the search engine landscape in the Asia Pacific. As we know, Google is the largest search engine worldwide and basically, almost all of us use Google to look for information every day.
For instance, when you are planing a work project, you use Google to do research and find information supporting your plan; When you are traveling, you use Google map to find the location and direct you arriving there; When you are at home, you usually click into Youtube and search for your favorite videos to watch.
As an Asian guy, I am not the exception, but except for Google or Amazon, I’m also using alternative search engine channels to look for information, shop goods, make reservations. The reason I prefer to use alternative channels to search is that it’s a smarter way when you are going to research local and destination information.
Why it matters?
– It helps you learn alternative search engine channels, that could more facilitate you to achieve your different searching purpose in the experience journey.
– As a digital marketer, this article helps you learn and better deploy an omnichannel strategy, and allocate proper resources among different Asian countries.
– It helps and inspires businessmen to create a go-to-market plan which is focused on direct performance, such as sales and revenue.
Type of Search Engine Channel
– Search engine. (Google, Bing, Baidu, etc)
– Market place (Amazon, Groupon, Rakuten, ShopBack, etc)
– Meta search (Skyscanner, Qunar, Kayak, Trivago etc)
– Social network search (Facebook, Linkedin, Wechat, etc)
– Video search (Youtube, Vimeo, iQiyi, Youku, etc)
– Voice search (Apple Siri, Home Echo, Tmall Genie, etc)
In this chapter, I’m going to focus on search engine and marketplace – e-commerce section sharing in China, Japan, and Southeast Asia.
As you are going to search for news and information in China, below the top 4 options to help you search for the information. From 2019 latest market share statistic, Baidu is leading the search engine market in China.
Then, Qihoo 360 is absolutely an option if you care more about information credibility, data privacy, and security; Sogou is embedded into the WeChat ecosystem. If you are a fan of the Wechat App, you’ll like it when searching the latest favorite content and news; Shenma is a mobile-first search engine that is a joint venture between Alibaba Group and UCWeb.
Regarding the online marketplace, below are the top 5 e-commerce platforms of the search engine landscape in China.
No.1 – Taobao
The largest SME2C e-commerce platform where gather a huge amount of individual and SME business online stores.
No.2 – Tmall
The largest B2C e-commerce platform, where brands and the large corporations can be accessed only.
No.3 – JD.com
JD owns and operates a system of self-serving logistics and warehouses. It can cater to merchants’ seamless fulfillment service and management.
No.4 – Amazon.cn
The largest United States e-commerce platform announces in April 2019 to give up China’s domestic e-commerce business line, and only keep cross-border, kindle, and AWS businesses in China in the future. Except for competitor factors, I would say its global supply chain stability is being impacted and affected by China and the USA trade war. Foreign companies in China have already been adjusting the strategy.
No.5 – Suning.com
The largest O2O electric appliance chain outlet in China. With its strong logistic, offline store outlets, and customer service, Suning is rapidly spreading its e-commerce business share.
In Japan, when you are going to search for news and information, below the top 5 options can help you search the information. From 2019 latest market share statistic, Google Japan is leading the search engine market in Japan.
Yahoo Japan is ranked No.2. As we know, Yahoo and Bing have been merged long time ago, but only Yahoo Japan is an independent corporation in Japan country.
Regarding the online marketplace, below are the top 5 e-commerce platforms of the search engine landscape in Japan.
No. 1 – Rakuten (楽天)
The largest e-commerce website in Japan. The business line not only focuses on the online shopping but also provide online travel agency, credit card, loyalty program, advertising and so on.
No. 2 – Amazon Japan
No.3 – Yahoo Shopping Japan
As a branch of Yahoo Japan, it’s the largest discount shopping site in Japan. You can find count-down discount on hundreds of goods every day there.
No.4 – Zozotown
The largest online fashion clothing e-commerce site in Japan. As you might know, It launched Zozosuit last year although it has sunset consequently. But it’s a good experiment and trial case on the fashion O2O industry and big data strategy.
No.5 – Wowma!
Wowma! is owned by KDDI which is the 2nd largest telecommunication network service provider in Japan. With its mother company’s advantage in mobile technology, Wowma! is a very strong player in mobile e-commerce.
(Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam)
In southeast Asia countries, when you are going to search for news and information, below the top 5 options can help you search the information. From 2019 latest market share statistic, Google is leading the search engine market over there.
Regarding the online marketplace, the top 5 ranking position is varied by each country. So I select and recommend the top 5 popular e-commerce platforms search engine landscape in the SEA region from my work experience perspective.
No.1 – Lazada
The largest e-commerce platform in the South East Asia region. It is owned by Alibaba Group.
No.2 – Shopee
Shopee is one of the fastest-growing C2C and B2C platforms in the South East Asia region. Shopee launched in Singapore as a social-first, mobile-centric marketplace where users can browse, shop, and sell on the go. Integrated with logistical and payment support, the asset-light platform aims to make online shopping easy and secure for both sellers and buyers.
No.3 – Qoo10
Qoo10 is one of the best online retailers in South East Asia. It is owned by eBay. You can find the best deal on Q0010 every day.
No.4 – Zalora
Asian Pacific leading fashion e-commerce platform. It is a native digital player in the fashion industry.
No.5 – Tokopedia
Tokopedia is one of the best tech companies founded in Indonesia. It has several main businesses. The marketplace is one of the best well-known products.
When you are going to buy a bottle of Sake online, if you search English keywords in Google, and then type in Japanese keywords in Rakuten Japan. you could find that pricing and added value service such as shipping condition, payment rebate, etc are different. I’m not saying it’s a 100% guarantee, but this is a tip for your reference.
If you were a digital marketer, each marketplace owns its unique audience data, loyalty customer groups, and business model. So for my view, I would suggest putting resources into different baskets, when deploying a strategy in different markets.
If you were a businessman when considering this article could help you briefly learn what platforms you can go to research helpful information as listed below:
- What the hot and potential products are;
- What the market pricing is;
- Whether to create an online store on a marketplace or build up a self-owned e-commerce website;
- Who are proper to be affiliated partnerships, joined-ventures, or marketing affinity partners.
- Where to start and test the water.
I hope you enjoy reading Asia Pacific Search Engine Landscape. if you did, please support us by doing one of the things as listed below, because it always helps out to our channel.
- Support my channel through PayPal (paypal.me/Easy2digital)
- Subscribe to my channel and turn on the notification bell Easy2Digital Youtube channel.
- Follow and like my page Easy2Digital Facebook page
- Share the article to your social network with the hashtag #easy2digital
- Buy products with Easy2Digital 10% OFF Discount code (Easy2DigitalNewBuyers2020)
- You sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive Easy2Digital latest articles, videos, and discount code on Buyfromlo products and digital software
- Subscribe to our monthly membership through Patreon to enjoy exclusive benefits (www.patreon.com/louisludigital)